top of page
Back to List

William Stone 1927-1930

Bill "Tubber" Stone was an outstanding guard and tackle and a three-year starter at MHS. He played under Coach Stan Burnham in his first three years, and in 1930, he was a major factor in Coach Charlie McGuinness' initial 5-3-1 winning season. 

     Listed at 220 pounds, Stone was usually the largest player on the field, dominating the interior line play. He also did the place kicking and punting for the team, recording nine point-after-touchdowns. In his final high school game, a 26-0 victory over rival Swampscott, The Daily Evening Item wrote as follows: "Bill "Tubber" Stone, the Red & Black 220, pound tackle was causing plenty of damage on both sides of the ball, and although handling three men through most of the engagement, showed no sign of weariness at the end of the game". 

     Bill Stone was an All-New England lineman at Bates College, and is credited with a major share of the honors in that college's most famous football game - a 0-0 tie with the nation's then top ranked team - Yale - in 1932. 

Bill Stone returned to Marblehead as line coach in 1945 under Dave Morey.

Anchor 2
Anchor 1

Dr. Robert Jackson 1945-1947

Bob Jackson started every game in 1946 and 1947 for MHS under Coach Dave Morey, who was Bill Stone's coach at Bates. He was the left tackle in 1946 and moved to the strong side in 1947, following a year on the JV's in 1945. His line coach in 1947 was Herman Hussey who became head coach the following year. 

A solid two-way performer, he earned the nickname "Nails" for his toughness. At 188 pounds, he was the second heaviest player on the squad during the North Shore's Agganis era. The 1947 team was 4-5-1, and beat Swampscott 24-6 in Coach Morey's last game. 

     Jackson went on to play at Tilton Academy and at the University of New Hampshire, where he was a starter for two years and earned Conference honors. The 1950 team at UNH was 10-0, the last undefeated team at Durham. 

In his senior year, he transferred to Tufts, where he subsequently earned a degree in dentistry. He has been a practicing dentist and lifelong resident of Marblehead since that time. 

John Robarts 1955-1957

"Jack" Robarts started his high school football career as the JV quarterback, playing for his father Assistant Coach Tremaine Robarts, who was the first inductee into the Hall of Fame.    

     Jack moved to the tailback position in 1955 under Head Coach Herm Hussey, and as a 150 pound scatback was a major contributor to the team's 7-1-1 record, winning the Northeastern Conference and losing only to state champion Gloucester (Harding & Hickey). As a senior, because of injuries and illness, he was called upon to play both running back and quarterback, where he was responsible for more than one-half of the team's 101 points, scoring 8 TD's. He was the 1957 winner of North Shore football's prestigious Thom McAn award. 

     Robarts was a three-sports athlete playing shortstop for his father's baseball team for three years and starting on the basketball team. Following high school, he played two years of football at Bowdoin before injuries ended his career. He subsequently coached the freshmen and taught at Gloucester and in recent years has been an administrator at Uxbridge (MA) High School. 

Anchor 3
Anchor 4

Donald "Toot" Cahoon 1964-1966

Donald "Toot" Cahoon played three years for Coach Noel Reebenacker. 

     In 1964 as a sophomore he moved into the starting lineup as a 138 pound running and defensive back, scoring four touchdowns. After a 0-0 tie with Amesbury in the 1965 opener, "Toot" moved to the quarterback position, where he led MHS to a 6-2-1 record, losing only to champion Newburyport and Woburn, completing 10 touchdown passes, scoring one TD and converting 7 two-point conversions. In 1966 he was again at quarterback, where his running and passing ability led MHS to a 6-3 record. His final game was the classic 22-21 victory on Thanksgiving in 1966. Coach Noel Reebenacker said of Cahoon's leadership - "He made us go." Overall, in three years he scored 76 points and threw 13 TD passes. 

     Toot Cahoon is acknowledged to have been Marblehead's finest high school hockey player and was a stand out baseball player as well. He subsequently went on to play hockey for two NCAA Championship teams at Boston University (1971 & 1972) and a distinguished hockey coaching career, including BU, Norwich, Princeton, and UMASS. (see gallery below)

William Sahagian 1971-1973

Bill Sahagian was a two-year starter at end for Coach Alex Kulevich in 1972 and 1973. He was an outstanding pass receiver, blocker and defensive end. He was co-captain of the 1973 team along with Mark Fader and Dave Knight. 

Bill caught two touchdown passes in his junior year, as MHS posted a 5-4 record. In 1973 Sahagian caught 8 touchdown passes for the season and became one of the few ends to lead the Northeastern Conference in scoring. Overall, he scored 48 points for the year. 

     In his final game at MHS on Thanksgiving of 1973 in the last game played at the "high school field", Sahagian played a major role in the stunning 20-12 victory, catching 10 of Brian Buckley's passes for 160 yards. The win gave MHS a share of the NEC title with Swampscott, which lost its first Conference game in seven years. 

     An outstanding baseball player as a pitcher, outfielder and hitter at MHS, Bill Sahagian subsequently played football and baseball at Vanderbilt University. 

Anchor 5
Anchor 6
bottom of page